It is considered Portuguese of origin:
- The children of a Portuguese mother or a Portuguese father born in Portuguese territory;
- The children of a Portuguese mother or a Portuguese father born abroad if the Portuguese parent is at the service of the Portuguese State;
- The children of a Portuguese mother or a Portuguese father born abroad if they are registered in the Portuguese civil registry or if they declare that they wish to be Portuguese;
- Individuals born abroad with at least one ascendant of Portuguese nationality of the second degree in the straight line who did not lose that nationality, if they declare that they want to be Portuguese, have ties of effective connection to the national community and, verified such requirements, enter the birth in the Portuguese civil registry;
- Individuals born in Portuguese territory, children of foreigners, if at least one of the parents is also born here and resides here, regardless of title, at the time of birth;
- Individuals born in Portuguese territory, children of foreigners who are not in the service of their State, who do not declare not wanting to be Portuguese, provided that at the time of birth one of the parents has been legally resident for at least two years;
- Individuals born in Portuguese territory who have no other nationality.
Note: Be legally means through residence card, work visa, study, residence visa.